I made a big mistake on my Lempster pullover and I decided to fix it. In the great pro and con list of whether or not to fix, the biggest thing keeping me going was this: my Lempster is a CLASS SAMPLE! Even though I made it to my size and I’ll be wearing it, for the next few months I wanted it to be a shining example of what you might be making if you take Norah Gaughan’s Lempster class when she visits us in December. My mistake – of knitting the front motif on the back only, thus reversing the neckline shaping – would be highlighted, since class participants would be focusing on the top and neckline of the sweater. Not a big deal, maybe, but I really, really wanted to fix it.
I did take photos along the way. We were experiencing some gloomy weather, though, so I was using a bright craft light to keep my eyes working. These photos can be enlarged if you click on them, then hit your browser’s “back” button to get back here!
First, I chose where I was going to cut (when I say “cut” I mean, snip one strand and then pick out the row made by that strand – not really like steeking or anything like that). The pattern on this sweater happens every other row. I wanted to take out a “knit plain” round where there were no cable crosses to sew. I chose smack in the middle of the large cable. Then, I placed a lifeline through the stitches that would be freed up by my snip-and-pick-out action.
Through the different knit, purl and cable textures I just tried to focus on where that one strand was going. I wasn’t looking at the whole fabric, just the zig-zag that I was going to be pulling out.
I also did the blue strand first, took a break, and then did the pink.
SNIP! I cut one leg of one stitch in the row I wanted to remove and then started picking it out around the circle. As I went, I double checked that my lifelines went through the correct stitches on both sides.
Somewhere around one of the sleeves I discovered a weird mistake I made in the knitting itself – a slipped stitch! How did I do that?! When the whole row was removed this one stitch was still hanging on. I had to snip that one also.
I turned the top around and started grafting along one of the stockinette portions. I actually prefer grafting this way, as opposed to kitchener stitch or a variation thereof, where the stitches are sitting on the needles. When your work is flat you can imitate the stitches you need to see, just like duplicate stitching! Below, I am connecting the little Vs from one side to the other, creating a new V stockinette stitch in the middle.
Here is where photos fail me a bit. I had a hard time getting the hang of grafting the honeycomb cables and had to pull it out once or twice. I did figure it out but forgot to take photos of what was going on while I was doing it.
In the end, I think it’s a success! It’s about 98% perfect, I think. There are a few little things on the back that hit me wrong, although I’m hesitant to mess with it any more. If the weather cooperates this weekend I might just wear it to Rhinebeck!!
Pattern: Lempster, by Norah Gaughan, available free via knitty.com
Yarn: Plymouth Homestead, col. 2, “Taupe Heather”
Size: 40″ size to fit 36″ me, with no alterations!
TAKE A CLASS WITH NORAH!! If you love this sweater (and I know you’d love to meet Norah) come visit us the first weekend in December! Click here for details.